The Weetslade Relays are held at Lockey Park see map for details:-
3 x 2.5 miles (approx.) traffic free multi terrain course. Each team of three must include a veteran and a lady. The vet and the lady can be the same person.
Every June, Claremont Road Runners organise the Weetslade Relay. It is based in Lockey Park, Wideopen, just north of Newcastle and the Weetslade Country Park. Now in its eighth year, the next event will take place on Wednesday 21st of June 2017. All entrants and supporters can expect to enjoy a good night’s racing.
The Weetslade Relay was the first relay event in the country where each club is required to select teams of three which must include at least one veteran and at least one lady.
It is a closed race limited in 2017 to 100 teams from UKA affiliated clubs and to a maximum of six teams from each club. Individuals can be selected for teams on the day. Minimum age 18. The entry fee is £12 a team.
In 2017, the Weetslade Relay will have an official charity, Daft as a Brush Cancer Patient Care. This year £2 from every club entry will go to support staffed custom-made vehicles to transport outpatients, free of charge, to and from Hospital so that they can undergo Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy cancer treatment.
The scenic, multi-terrain course receives favourable comments from runners . Each team member runs one leg which covers a distance of 4.08k. It includes a hill at halfway with a thirty metre climb. There are spectacular views over Tyneside for those who still notice such things after running up a hill.
The race is supported by Wideopen Football Club, who provide refreshments and use of their clubhouse for changing and administration; by Northumberland Wildlife Trust, who allow the use of Weetslade Country Park; by North Tyneside Council Events Team and by Start Fitness.
In 2017 there will be prizes for the members of the first and second teams and for the fastest male and female runners and veterans. In addition there will be loads of spot prizes of team goody bags ,to be drawn on the night.
Entry forms will be sent in the spring to all affiliated athletics clubs in the region well in time for them to enter their teams before the closing date of 7th June.
Previously at Weetslade
1. Morpeth Harriers Tom Straughan, Emma Holt, Chris Smith 39:53
2. Tyne Bridge Harriers Marc Fenwick, Alison Dargie, James Dunce 40:37
Fastest Man Sam Hancox (Morpeth) and Abraham Tewelde (Saltwell) Veteran Chris Smith (Morpeth)
Fastest Woman Emma Holt (Morpeth) Veteran Alison Dargie (Tyne Bridge)
1. Elswick Harriers Adam Hands, Justina Heslop, Paul Turner 41:09
2. Morpeth Harriers Sam Hancox, Vicki Gibbs, Chris Smith 41:35
Fastest Man Andy Burn (Jarrow and Hebburn) Veteran Paul Turner (Jarrow and Hebburn)
Fastest Woman Emma Holt (Morpeth Harriers) Veteran Justina Heslop (Elswick Harriers)
1. Morpeth Harriers Phil Walker, Emma Holt, Tom Straughan 40:45
2. Jarrow and Hebburn Brendan McMillan, Elaine Leslie, Andy Burn 40:58
Fastest Man Andy Burn (Jarrow and Hebburn) Veteran Steve McMannon (Sunderland Strollers)
Fastest Woman Emma Holt (Morpeth Harriers) Veteran Alison Dargie (Tyne Bridge Harriers)
1. Jarrow and Hebburn. Brendan McMillan, Elaine Leslie, Andy Burn
2. Elswick Harriers. Lee Acer, Alison Dargie, Lee Bennett.
Fastest Man Mark Fenwick ( Tyne Bridge) Veteran Lee Bennett ( Elswick)
Fastest Woman and Veteran Alison Dargie ( Elswick )
1. Elswick Harriers Lee Bennett, Alison Dargie, Mark MacLeod
2. Tyne Bridge Harriers Keith Smith, Caroline Freeman, Tony Carter
Fastest Man Andrew Graham ( Gosforth ) Veteran Keith Smith ( Tyne Bridge)
Fastest Woman Laura Jardine ( Heaton ) Veteran Alison Dargie ( Elswick )
1. Elswick Harriers Paul Turner, Alison Dargie, Lee Bennett
2. Gosforth Harriers Helen Waddell, Kevin Thomas, Andrew Graham
Fastest Man Andrew Graham (Gosforth ) Veteran Les Smith ( Heaton )
Fastest Woman and Veteran Alison Dargle ( Elswick)
1. Claremont Road Runners Keith Smith, Mandy Herworth, Chris Gillis
2. Heaton Harriers Sarah Lemon, Mal Gibson, Craig Smith
Fastest Man Andrew Henderson ( Composite team ) Veteran Keith Smith ( Claremont)
Fastest woman Ellen Tullo ( Heaton ) Veteran Mandy Herworth ( Claremont)